Mango Tree

 When asked by "my family", really just my oldest sister and my mum, what I would like from Santa I told them fruit tree.  

Today I got to select a fruit tree.  There was a paucity out varieties on offer as per our society's lack of diversity.... but I did select a Bowen variety mango.  Bowen in north  Queensland Is pretty much the home of mangoes in Australia and this variety had been bred as a mainstay of the commercial farms.  I'm sure they don't buy stock for $37 a pop, but there you go.  

Add I popped my new baby into my daughter's fuel efficient buzz-box car,  a got a little warm and fuzzy! There are few thing that make me W&F of late,  so it got me by surprise.


                            Bowen the Mango & Sam. the Omnivorous

Layers  of cynicism melted away as I gazed assert this beautiful life form.  As I cast forward mind forward to it's lush canopy over growing the verandah and perhaps at Christmas displaying sweet juicy fruit with crimson blush throughout.  

I remembered the Fijian elder I spoke to years ago. Standing in the suburban street gazing at a large mango tree in his back yard.  The described how it has grown from a small thing, "now look,  it's bigger than the house".There was pain in his face at being transplantedfrom his island home, but absolute joy in this eyes as he marveled over that tree's productivity. Add we gazed happily at this wonderful being,  it's lush green foliage obliterated the suburban ugliness all about us. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Route Planning

Health - sore wrists (age, low salt, trekking bars)

A grocery run